Slow cooker Lamb Shanks
These Slow Cooker Lamb Shanks are perfect for a lazy Sunday. Pop them in the slow cooker in the morning and theyll be ready in 6-10 hours depending on the setting you have your slow cooker on. I served mine with creamy mash, rainbow chard and roasted purple carrots, but I reckon they would go well with the usual roast dinner accompaniments or even some garlic butter rice and greens.
* 2 lamb shanks * Oil for cooking
* 1 onion, peeled and cut into quarters
* 1 medium carrot, cut into chunks
* 2 stalks of celery, cut into chunks
* 4 cloves garlic, peeled
* 4 sprigs rosemary
* 4 sprigs thyme
* 2 tbsp tomato purée
* 1 beef stock pot/cube
* 425ml red wine
* 200ml water
• Put a frying pan on a medium heat with a little oil and seal your lamb shanks. Turning every few minutes until they have a nice even golden colour. • Set the shanks aside and add the onions to the pan. Crush the garlic cloves slightly with a knife and add these to the pan also along with the carrots and celery.
• Cook for 5 minutes or so until they colour slightly and then add the tomato purée.
• Cook the tomato purée out for a couple of minutes, then add the red wine, water, stock pot/cube and herbs.
• Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes and then pop into the slow cooker along with the lamb shanks. • Put the lid on and cook on high for 6-7 hours or on low for 8-10 hours. • Remove the lamb shanks and transfer to a bowl or plate and cover to keep warm.
• Take the rosemary and thyme out of the slow cooker and then blend the juices and vegetables together to make your sauce. • Taste and adjust the seasoning if you wish.
• If the sauce is a little thin for your liking then put on the hob on a high heat to reduce and thicken.